1. 1. CRUNCH TIME: the period of time just before a project has to be completed and everyone has to work hard
· I’m not getting enough sleep these days. It’s crunch time at work.
2. LET YOUR FREAK FLAG FLY: to let others see your uniqueness
· My colleagues were surprised at the Christmas party- I let my freak flag fly and showed them a break dance routine.
3. GET OUT OF HAND: when you lose control of things, they get out of hand
· The party got out of hand and the guests started to throw bottles at each other.
4. GET YOUR HEAD AROUND IT: to understand something
· I just can’t get my head around the fact that Joe is leaving us.
5. DIG IN YOUR HEELS / STICK TO YOUR GUNS: to refuse to compromise or change your mind
· My parents wanted me to give up writing, but I dug in my heels and went on to become a famous writer.
· My parents wanted me to give up writing, but I stuck to my guns and went on to become a famous writer.
6. POUND THE PAVEMENT: to walk the streets looking for a job
· I’d been pounding the pavement for months before I found a job in a fast food restaurant.
7. PULL A RABBIT OUT OF A HAT: to do something unexpected that may have seemed impossible
· I thought we were going bankrupt, but my partner pulled a rabbit out of his hat and we landed a major contract.
8. LEAVE NO STONE UNTURNED: to do everything you can to achieve your goal
· I’ll leave no stone unturned until I find out who did this.
9. GET IT OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM: to do something you’ve wanted to do for a long time and don’t want to postpone any longer
· I wasn’t sure how she was going to react, but I had to get it out of my system, so I told her I had found another woman.
10. STEP UP YOUR GAME: to start performing better
· If you want to win this competition, you’ll have to step up your game.
1. He has …………… information. 2.&n...View Excercise
Modals worksheet (part-2) Seeing a crow eating a piece of bread, a fox thought how it (a) ______ tr...View Excercise
Modal fill in the blanks practice exercise: He had been working for more than 11 hours. H...View Excercise
When a subject does not do a work himself/herself, and takes the help of some other person or force ...View Excercise
Make corrections:- Why Rohan speaks lie? How you reached? At what time he will be at home? Whe...View Excercise
Use the correct Tense/ tenses exercise with answer: 1. We______ (go) to New Delhi tomorrow....View Excercise
Copyright by Engmates. All rights reserved.